can no longer layer samples from built in browser

All topics on Groove Agent
zoidkirb

can no longer layer samples from built in browser

Post by zoidkirb »

seemingly out of nowhere i have lost the ability to layer instrument pads with samples pulled from the built in browser in groove agent 5 :(
when i try and drop a sample from groove agent's own browser onto a pad, i only get the option to replace the sample.
if i use the regular cubase media bay then i still get the 3 options - replace/layer/chromatic.
is this a bug? have i somehow activated a "feature"?
anyone found this or have a solution?

tJ@M

Re: can no longer layer samples from built in browser

Post by tJ@M »

Hi, I have the same problem, have you found a solution?

TJ@M

zoidkirb

Post by zoidkirb »

tJ@M wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:13 am
Hi, I have the same problem, have you found a solution?

TJ@M
No solution I'm sorry. I'm Starting to question my sanity over this actually. Was I ever able to layer sounds from the instrument tab? I really thought so but maybe not? I've combed through the manual, multiple Youtube vids and forum posts but am unable to definitively find if this is meant to be a feature. Really seems like it should be!

tJ@M

Post by tJ@M »

Theres nothing wrong with your sanity, drag and drop from the media bay is deffo a new and reviewed feature, I was using it myself both in SE and 5. Same goes, both just stopped working. Have you tried re installing?

zoidkirb

Post by zoidkirb »

No haven't tried re-installing...yet.
I got to clarify though, I have since found that using the built in media bay, It is possible to drag/drop/layer from the "browser" tab but not the "instrument" tab. Should both be possible?

tJ@M

Post by tJ@M »

Hi, yes you should be able to drag and drop from GA own browser, mine was working fine but then ceased to work for some reason. can still use the host browser but i want to use GA browser and its functions. ive put a support request in so ill let you know if they sort it, prob a few days before they get back. There is always some kind of problem with steinberg products, third party plugins work fine with no hassle.

TJ@M

zoidkirb

Post by zoidkirb »

Thanks man, I'm looking forward to that! Sadly living here in Australia we can't do support tickets here. Usually with their bugs I just hope the problem goes away, and/or i just work around that particular problem :/

tJ@M

Post by tJ@M »

Its a shame Steinberg always have bugs with their software it does my head in. Ive had remote support off them in the past, make sure you havnt got any un used trial plugins from steinberg in your system, that can cause all sorts of problems.

TJ@M

jamescolah

Post by jamescolah »

Hi zoidkirb,

Are you talking specifically about GA5 because it's working perfectly for me using GA SE5? I don't have the full version.

tJ@M

Post by tJ@M »

Hi, It’s happening in GA 5 SE and 5 full version

TJ@M

jamescolah

Post by jamescolah »

I just want to repeat that layering samples is working perfectly for me using Groove agent 5 SE.

I've just tested it again using two samples from the stock Hip Hop Vault/One Shots folder.

I dragged both samples into the uppermost square on the C1 Instrument Pad and then on the main edit page changed the Mode parameter from Velocity to Layer and then when I hit the C1 Pad both samples play at once!

Is this the way you're all doing it?

Kind regards

James Colah

tJ@M

Post by tJ@M »

Hi, yes that's what should happen but for some reason that function as gone, maybe there is a preference that needs changing I'm not sure.

TJ@M

zoidkirb

Post by zoidkirb »

I'm talking about using the built in browser in groove agent 5 , full version, using the built in ga 5 browser. whether i set mode to layer, round robin etc doesn't affect affect if i can layer or not.

tJ@M

Post by tJ@M »

Same here, no layer or chromatic when dragging from GA own browser.

tJ@M

Post by tJ@M »

Hi, i had an idea a couple of days ago but only just remembered to try it.
Here goes.
1 Drag a sample from the GA instrument Browser on to pad1, you'll see the same problem, only the middle option on the pad.
2 drag the next sample you want to layer on to pad 2 then drag pad 2 on to pad 1 and you will get the options, don't forget to change the mode to layer in the sample window or you will only hear the last sample you added.
It works for me, give it a go and let me know how you get on.

TJ@M

zoidkirb

Post by zoidkirb »

OMG you are a genius! That does indeed work :) TBH I'd just shelved messing around with Groove Agent recently as the issue was aggravating me to enough to the point where I wasn't getting work done because I was fiddling around trying to fix things. Although I was still able to drag in and layer my own samples from the browser tab, I really prefer to layer samples from the Steinberg collection that I have spent a lot of money on.
It will be interesting to see if support ever get back to you :?

tJ@M

Post by tJ@M »

Glad its worked for you, believe me, I know how frustrating it can be when you've spent good money and things are not working as they should, its always been the same with Steingerg, they release the software before they have ironed out the bugs!!. Its awaiting game with support, you know yourself the problems Cubase has and from what I see on the forum there are lots of issues so I guess support get thousands of requests, ive sometimes had a reply 3 weeks later.

TJ@M

zoidkirb

Post by zoidkirb »

Agreed. I really do understand about there's gonna be bugs with software. It's old, it's complicated, there's a lot of it. But they offer pretty much zero support outside of EU and USA it seems. Their presence is close to zero here on their own forums, where I feel a lot of the issues could be dealt with before getting escalated to a ticket (which I can't submit anyway) . A bit of transparency and communication would really make people feel better about the occasional bug.

tJ@M

Post by tJ@M »

Yeah the support is shocking!!

mr.roos

Post by mr.roos »

tJ@M wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:32 pm
"drag pad 2 on to pad 1 and you will get the options, don't forget to change the mode to layer in the sample window or you will only hear the last sample you added."

TJ@M
HI. I'm very new to GA5, sorry to butt in here but.... I can follow what you are saying about dragging to pad two and then dragging pad two to pad one, this DOES change what appears in the pad, but I don't understand HOW to change the MODE? Would you explain this to me with a screen shot maybe? Thank you very much!
Cubase 10.5 Pro from SX3, WaveLab Pro 10, Groove Agent 5, iC Pro remote app, Win10 64-bit (2004 update installed - latest OS build always), Intel i7 8700 Coffee Lake 6-Core 3.2GHz, 32G DDR4 3200, Gigabyte Z390 Designare MB, Radeon RX570 Graphics card, Mackie 1640i (FireWire via TI chipset PCI-E card), 1K iRig Pads, StudioLogic Numa Compact 2X 88-Key, and Roland FP-30.

zoidkirb

Post by zoidkirb »

the mode is in the window to the right of the pads, sort of sitting above the waveform display there is a little drop down menu where you select "layer, round robin, velocity" trigger etc.
i hope this helps, it's just from my memory.

mr.roos

Post by mr.roos »

Thanks, I did find the Mode button and I can add to the different sounds to pad #1. But that's it, right? Currently it only works on pad #1? Did this ever actually work, the layering to other pads? Is this what you have a ticket into Steinberg about?

Wow, the complexity of this program is crazy, it's like you have to sleep with it to understand all the parameters... Seriously, I find the GUI to be like a micro visual experience, the buttons are everywhere and very small. Haha, this aside, thank you very much for explaining this process, even if it doesn't work right now. You Rock!
Cubase 10.5 Pro from SX3, WaveLab Pro 10, Groove Agent 5, iC Pro remote app, Win10 64-bit (2004 update installed - latest OS build always), Intel i7 8700 Coffee Lake 6-Core 3.2GHz, 32G DDR4 3200, Gigabyte Z390 Designare MB, Radeon RX570 Graphics card, Mackie 1640i (FireWire via TI chipset PCI-E card), 1K iRig Pads, StudioLogic Numa Compact 2X 88-Key, and Roland FP-30.

zoidkirb

Post by zoidkirb »

Mr roos you can drag any pad to any other pad and you will get the 3 options. To be clear, this is addressing a bug where me and others are trying to drag samples directly from the instruments tab in groove agent's built in browser and being denied the option to either layer or add chromatically.

Yes, GA5 is a complex and powerful beast. Lots and lots of small little texts and icons. After you've gone over them all enough times you should find that everything has a purpose and is very logically laid out.

As for the fiddly size of the various elements, that remains an issue. Steinberg did listen to requests for GA to be able to be re-sized but sadly all they did was allow the windows to be re-sized (a welcome addition to be sure!) but the elements within cannot be scaled up.

tJ@M

Post by tJ@M »

One of the new features in CB 10 Pro is that you can layer up to 32 samples per pad, not sure if that was dragging from the GA instrument browser not tried 32 but I can deffo drag pad to pad on any of them not just pad 1 and layer that way using GA own instrument browser.

Gerrit Junge
Steinberg Employee

Post by Gerrit Junge »

zoidkirb wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:11 am

To be clear, this is addressing a bug where me and others are trying to drag samples directly from the instruments tab in groove agent's built in browser and being denied the option to either layer or add chromatically.
You can't drag "samples" from the instrument tab. The instrument tab shows "Instruments" which consist of 1 - 32 samples and all the other Pad settings.
If you drag an "Instrument" onto a Pad it can only replace the existing Instrument and its settings.

best regards
Gerrit Junge
Senior Quality Engineer
VST Instruments
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH

Return to “Groove Agent”