remove or extend tracking limit

Post questions and find answers on the latest SpectraLayers release here.
fairlyclose

remove or extend tracking limit

Post by fairlyclose »

Is there any way to turn off the tracking limit or at least extend it. I often have files that are 10 to 30 minutes long and want to draw gestures into those files using harmonic selection that are 5 minutes long - or longer.

Robin Lobel

Re: remove or extend tracking limit

Post by Robin Lobel »

Right now no, you're limited to 15 seconds - this to avoid consuming too much resources while tracking harmonics. That being said, the limit could be extended further in the next patch, but I'm curious about your use case here.
Do you really have continuous tones that last for 5 minutes ? Do they change over time, or is it always the same frequency ?
Because in the latter case, you could as well use the Rectangular Selection tool and draw 5min selections around each of your frequencies.
Robin Lobel - SpectraLayers creator and lead developer

fairlyclose

Post by fairlyclose »

Thanks Robin - my use case is complex sound files that change over time.
At the moment I can select a thin frequency tool and draw in a complex gesture that is constantly changing - for simplicity think of maybe a selection that is only a few Hz wide that looks like a sine wave varying in frequency over 20 minutes. That is fine, I can do that now. But I would like to be able to do that plus capture the harmonics - probably not 10 but certainly 4. I see two ways to achieve that - firstly the harmonics are selected in real time, secondly the thin selection is made as one can do now and then the option to add harmonics is made. I am fine either way.
I would use this as a compositional tool - a lot. But sound designers in general would find this handy I think

Howl

Post by Howl »

fairlyclose wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:40 am
Thanks Robin - my use case is complex sound files that change over time.
At the moment I can select a thin frequency tool and draw in a complex gesture that is constantly changing - for simplicity think of maybe a selection that is only a few Hz wide that looks like a sine wave varying in frequency over 20 minutes. That is fine, I can do that now. But I would like to be able to do that plus capture the harmonics - probably not 10 but certainly 4. I see two ways to achieve that - firstly the harmonics are selected in real time, secondly the thin selection is made as one can do now and then the option to add harmonics is made. I am fine either way.
I would use this as a compositional tool - a lot. But sound designers in general would find this handy I think
i agree, even if my workflow somewhat different, not that, but every source is different, and every workflow has it's own signature..
but i use spectralayers pro 6 mainly for sounddesign. but the tracking limit, is for me too limited, but you can of course, extend selections. which also works, but a longer time.. 20 minutes is also for me a long time... but longer, would be great as an option.
and yes my samples, from scratch are mainly, not that static, but not thát dynamically, it depends of course. when they aren't that dynamically, spectralayers is the tool, to experiment to add more tonality.

EDIT: and yes i have also complex samples, longer ones, the tracking limit, i use of course add to selection, but for a faster workflow..
it cost recoursces, enough GB, and scratch drives.. but it is for the end result (and i am used to wait for rendering for video..).
but i notice the track limit, cuts me off. as fairlyclose says, i am now used to it, but still, as a possibility? why not.
Cubase Pro 10.5.20. Spectralayers Pro 7.0.20. Wavelab Pro 10.0.40. I7 6700K, 32 Gb, 3 x SSD, 1 x HD, 1060gtx 6gb. Windows 10 Pro 64 (2004). motu ultralite mk3 hybrid. Mackie Control Universal. Behringer BCR 2000 - FCB 1010. Novation Zero SL MKII + SL 49 MKII. Nektar Panorama P1. Maschine MK3 + Jam. Roland MMP-2 pre-amp. rode NT1A. Wacom Bamboo CTH-461. push 2 + ableton live 10 suite. bitwig studio 3.2. reason 11 suite. reaper 6.x. NI komplete 11 ultimate + komplete 13. arturia v collection 7 & FX Bundle & spark 2 (+ CDM controller) & pigments 2. IK multimedia t-racks 5 standard with 40 "processors". softube modular. voltage modular. unfiltered audio, glitchmachines, meldaproduction, waves (gold + 25 or so). etc. etc.

https://soundcloud.com/sada-exposada

Robin Lobel

Post by Robin Lobel »

I'll see if some optimizations can be done in that area for long selections, but the time limit will be extended in the next patch anyway.

fairlyclose

Post by fairlyclose »

Robin Lobel wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:41 pm
I'll see if some optimizations can be done in that area for long selections, but the time limit will be extended in the next patch anyway.
great!

Robin Lobel

Re: Feature Request / Feedback

Post by Robin Lobel »

So... I've done some optimizations, the frequency selection algorithm is now 4 to 8 times faster.
Therefore I just plain and simply removed the time limit in the next patch :)

fairlyclose

Post by fairlyclose »

:D
Robin Lobel wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:45 pm
So... I've done some optimizations, the frequency selection algorithm is now 4 to 8 times faster.

Puma0382

Post by Puma0382 »

Robin Lobel wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:45 pm
Good stuff Robin...

should this be posted in this thread though..?
viewtopic.php?p=1039154#p1039154

:)
System 1:- Win10 64bit, Gigabyte H81M m/board, Intel i7 4790 3.6Ghz, 16Gb RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti, 2 x 22" HD monitors; Steinberg UR44; Cubase Pro v10.5.20, WaveLab Pro v10.0.40, Studio One v4.6.1, Dorico Elements v3.5.10, Addictive Drums 2, Komplete 12, StylusRMX

System 2:- Win10 32bit, Q6600 2.4 Ghz, 4Gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS, Delta 1010LT; Cubase Pro v8.0.40, WaveLab Pro v9.1.0, Komplete10, StylusRMX

Robin Lobel

Post by Robin Lobel »

Woops you're right, wrong thread ! I moved the posts :)

Return to “SpectraLayers 7”