SpectraLayers 7 - basically unusable (although fixed in next patch due soon)

Post questions and find answers on the latest SpectraLayers release here.
dr

SpectraLayers 7 - basically unusable (although fixed in next patch due soon)

Post by dr »

Just installed SL7....

Older cubase projects with SL6 as an ARA plugin no longer open - cubase dmps -have to kill via task manager

on Restart cubase tells me "The application was terminated with an error while executing the following file"

C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3\SpectraLayers.vst3

seems to replace SL6 as an ARA extension so you can't select SL6 it defaults to SL7

also unhappy about some NI asio driver:

Faulting application name: SpectraLayers.exe, version: 7.0.0.217, time stamp: 0x5f0624d3
Faulting module name: nimc3asio64.dll, version: 5.0.1.61, time stamp: 0x5989bdb7
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000082f07
Faulting process ID: 0x5ec
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6699545e5eb48
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Steinberg\SpectraLayers 7\Win64\SpectraLayers.exe
Faulting module path: c:\program files\native instruments\maschine mk3 driver\asio\nimc3asio64.dll
Report ID: 6e978e20-62ee-4cce-92aa-5d49f92f392c
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

(windows 10)
Last edited by dr on Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

dr

Re: SpectraLayers 7 - problems !! - basically unusable

Post by dr »

^^^^ so now old projects don't open....a bit f*cked so need to uninstall I think

renaming SpectraLayers.vst3 to SpectraLayers.vst3.old allows me to open but obviously without the SL6 data

I notice that there a lot of SpectraLayers dmp files created too - really not ready to be released I think

Robin Lobel

Post by Robin Lobel »

Hi dr, can you upload the Cubase and SpectraLayers dmp files somewhere?
Meanwhile reinstalling SL6 will restore SL6 as your ARA editor.
Thanks
Robin Lobel - SpectraLayers creator and lead developer

dr

Post by dr »

Robin Lobel wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:23 pm
Hi dr, can you upload the Cubase and SpectraLayers dmp files somewhere?
Meanwhile reinstalling SL6 will restore SL6 as your ARA editor.
Thanks
just PMed you....

Robin Lobel

Post by Robin Lobel »

Thanks - after analyzing the Cubase dmp file you sent me, this problem should already be fixed in the upcoming patch to be released pretty soon.

dr

Post by dr »

thanks Robin

as I mentioned in the PM - you can't just replace the .vst3 file with the one from

C:\Program Files\Steinberg\SpectraLayers 6\ARA\VST3

you need to do a full reinstall of SL6 to get older SL6 cubase projects running again.

There is something not quite right in that kind of installation....you can have both standalone versions running on your PC but not with the plugin version...maybe you should have had a different plugin name for version 7 - to keep proper compatibility with old projects. Ugly I know but would have avoided this mess

Robin Lobel

Post by Robin Lobel »

Yes, it's not ideal but it's the recommended way by Celemony (creators of Melodyne and the ARA standard) to handle new versions of ARA plugins. This allow your projects edited with SL6 to transition to SL7, regardless of how well the DAW supports the VST3/ARA standard.

emasters

Post by emasters »

I also am getting SL7 crashes when scanning VST3 plugins. Get's to an iLock-based plugin which needs to be authorized (which at this time, I don't want to do), so I select cancel in the iLock dialog box to pass on authorizing it, and repeatably, SL7 crashes to OS X 10.13. In other hosts (like Cubase and Wavelab) it would just ignore the plugin at that point and go on. Not the end of the world, since it's a new ability in SL7 to load VST3 plugins. But at this point, VST3 plugins don't scan as the process crashes to the OS.
Ed

Robin Lobel

Post by Robin Lobel »

Also fixed in the upcoming patch coming pretty soon!

dr

Post by dr »

hi Robin

as per my PM

this patch doesn't fully fix the problem. It stops the cubase hang - and subsequent crash dump BUT it doesn't actually make SL6 cubase projects work with SL7.

If you load the SL6 cubase project then you get a white (or blank) edit window.....

If you quit cubase and restart it and load a blank project first - then apply SL7 as an extension to that project...close that project and then open the SL6 project then SL7 extension opens.

Impossible to have any faith in using the software in anger.....

TLDR:

still f*cked and the patch isn't a fix

Robin Lobel

Post by Robin Lobel »

Looks more like a graphic driver issue than a SL issue in this case; have you tried switching SL to OpenGL mode ? (Edit > Preferences > Display > Rendering API > OpenGL).

edit: it seems you had the same issue with SL6 and fixed it by switching to OpenGL viewtopic.php?f=294&t=170334&p=909718#p909718

dr

Post by dr »

Robin Lobel wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:05 pm
Looks more like a graphic driver issue than a SL issue in this case; have you tried switching SL to OpenGL mode ? (Edit > Preferences > Display > Rendering API > OpenGL).

edit: it seems you had the same issue with SL6 and fixed it by switching to OpenGL viewtopic.php?f=294&t=170334&p=909718#p909718
yes - but that's not the problem is it ?

it works fine if I open a non-SL6 cubase project ...close the project then open an SL6 project. I don't change anything else - no settings change - no GFX driver change.

Doesn't work if I start cubase and open and SL6 cubase project FIRST....

The GFX driver issue is a bug that you haven't managed to fix since it was reported. It shouldn't just randomly stop working or start working again....you can't just rely on keeping your fingers crossed that things will work.

Your stock answer to the many many many issues that are being posted around the internet is that "the upcoming patch fixes it" - well that is nonsense. This software really wasn't ready to be released. Sorry Robin - I know Steinberg pushed for this release date but really it's not satisfactory - you should have pushed back.

As it stands, it's broken.

Nspace

Post by Nspace »

Mr dr
You have managed to find a bug, on a newly released version, on a quite unique software, on a rather novel field with large untapped potential for the the whole audio sector, that is.

And then you initiate this post with a surprise mark over your problems find, furthermore ending the title with a conclusive judgement. Then after direct responses and attention from the main developer to your specific situation, you conclude this software "wasn't ready for release" hence negating the rest of us, satisfied and expecting customers the access to it... furthermore stating what the dev "should have" done.

At 2020, probably most audio forum users are aware of dismissive vocal participants of various kinds. Inquisitive minds? particular usage cases? surely are all most welcome. Here, we have a very involved developer, who is quite responsive as well.
Personally, I have been supporting this special tool since early stages of development, have endured difficulties and now am all eager to find its best uses and applications together with expecting to be part of a vibrant community here that contributes to this evolution. So I take this opportunity to express my support and gratitude for the past and current efforts. And also, yes! I am delighted for version 7 release as it stands.

Of course. dr you are - indeed - entitled to your respectful opinions and judgements, like the rest of us. To me, the cited qualifiers and closed remarks that you put forward, come as hasty and detrimental of the communication that promotes solutions. If I may, send you an invitation to consider other users cases (as receptive of your proposed actions) and to hold a slight more open, or time allowing, stance when you find an issue with SL.
Best

dr

Post by dr »

Nspace

thanks for your insight - I would say that an acknowledged bug not being able to load old projects is a bit of a showstopper IMO. It's not the only bug or new feature that is incomplete - there a quite a few bugs being reported......Robin claims there is a patch ready to release next week which he claims fixes most of these..... doesn't that suggest to you that it was released at least 1 week early ?

Probably same as you - this isn't my first Rodeo - I've been with Steinberg thick and thin since the 1980s...I think I've bought EVERYTHING they've ever released since then. Certainly every Cubase/Wavelab since the pro24 days. I've been involved with software development nearly as long as that ......I know a release that was not ready when I see it.

Like you, I've supported SL - indeed I was probably the first person to put their hand in their pocket and actually buy the upgrade to SL7 - I want it to succeed bit it's becoming a bit of a joke across the industry as being unstable and unreliable....not really what Robin wants I suspect. We can all stick our heads in the sand and pretend it's perfect but that ain't gonna change the facts.

Robin Lobel

Post by Robin Lobel »

dr, please keep it civil. You've been quite aggressive since day one of this release, even sometime insulting.

Please understand that a bug-free release is impossible : no matter how much you beta test, the number of configurations and scenarios grows exponentially at the time of release, specially when it involves GPU computing and supporting a variety of hosts and plugins from many external developers. For instance that loading bug you experienced never showed up during our tests, and we've loaded several Cubase SL6 projects in Cubase SL7. What matters is how fast they are fixed when issues are reported. When I say the upcoming patch fixes it, I mean it - reported cases have been reproduced when possible, identified, fixed, and re-tested after fix.

The first update is scheduled for wednesday, and it comes with all the fixes mentioned. That's really not a long time for the steps mentioned above, plus Steinberg validation pipeline before release of the patch. You even got a beta of that patch in advance. The other issue you're mentioning seems unrelated, and more linked to the graphic driver or something within your Cubase environment that is causing DirectX 11 troubles. Please test the OpenGL mode and let me know if that works for you.
Please understand we cannot fix factors external to SpectraLayers, such as graphic driver support or whatever mess up DirectX 11 support within Cubase. It's fair enough that SL provides a way around that with the OpenGL mode. There's a form of autodetection built in SL when DX11 is not supported, but in this specific case the driver does not report errors soon enough.

SL7 has been released for only 4 days. You've got a beta patch at day 3. Again, please remain civil. We're working as fast as possible to fix the issues and release an update, taking all feedback into consideration.

rsm

Post by rsm »

Thanks Robin, for your hard work, your quick response here and your clear statement.

Just my 2 cent even if SL 7 started with some bugs...
Best regards

rsm

Cubase Pro (latest)
Wavelab Pro (latest)
SpectraLayers (latest)
Halion (latest)
Groove Agent (latest)
The Grand 3 (latest)
Dell M4800
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

dr

Post by dr »

Robin Lobel wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:41 pm
The other issue you're mentioning seems unrelated, and more linked to the graphic driver or something within your Cubase environment that is causing DirectX 11 troubles. Please test the OpenGL mode and let me know if that works for you.
again Robin you seem to misunderstand the nature of the BUG

if you start cubase and load an SL6 project FIRST then it is broken. If you load an blank project and apply SL7 - close then open an SL6 project it works.

Are you saying that SL7 will load a different graphics driver depending on when the software loads ? Why does it sometimes work - then randomly stop working ?

FWIW this is an NVIDIA card - probably the worlds biggest manufacturer of GFX cards, really is worth testing with these.

Robin Lobel

Post by Robin Lobel »

The way you describe the issue itself (white edit window) seems to point to a graphic support issue rather than internal disfunction. And that DX11 issue has also been pseudo-random in the past (and could be caused by different DAW initialization order, as your repro steps seem to suggest). So there's a probability that just switching to OpenGL could solve it.

This could also be confirmed by internal SL logs, which can be found in %appdata%\Steinberg\SpectraLayers 7.0\logs - please send those to me for analysis.

dr

Post by dr »

Robin Lobel wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:51 am
The way you describe the issue itself (white edit window) seems to point to a graphic support issue rather than internal disfunction. And that DX11 issue has also been pseudo-random in the past (and could be caused by different DAW initialization order, as your repro steps seem to suggest). So there's a probability that just switching to OpenGL could solve it.

This could also be confirmed by internal SL logs, which can be found in %appdata%\Steinberg\SpectraLayers 7.0\logs - please send those to me for analysis.
will do - my question is why does it work if you load differently depending on if you have loaded an non-sl6 project first - and why does it ''randomly'' change ?

Robin Lobel

Post by Robin Lobel »

I'm just guessing here, but maybe the window initialization order is different in these two scenarios:

When you load a SL project right after opening Cubase, it's the very first time an edit window is created by Cubase so that SL can attach its UI to it, and maybe in that specific case the edit window isn't fully ready to receive a DirectX11 context right away.

As opposed to opening a project that doesn't need immediate DirectX11 context creation (SL-free project), which gives more time to the Cubase edit window to fully initialize (multiple event loops). And then attaching a DX11 context on top of it (loading a SL project) is probably easier.

Unfortunately I was not able to repro the issue you're having with different NVIDIA cards.

dr

Post by dr »

here are two logs.

08:22:50.044 0af8 INFO C:\Program Files\Steinberg\SpectraLayers 7\Win64\SpectraLayers.dll -platform windows:nowmpointer
08:22:50.049 0af8 INFO early init done
08:22:50.052 0af8 INFO creating app...
08:22:50.061 0af8 INFO loading properties...
08:22:50.634 0af8 INFO session SpectraLayers 2020.08.07-08.22.50.043 started - embedded
08:22:50.634 0af8 INFO SpectraLayers Pro 7.0.10 Build 223 (x64 - Qt 5.15.0 - qtnamespace: SpectraLayers - qtlibinfix: SL - dynamic opengl - MSVC 1916)
08:22:50.634 0af8 INFO OS: Windows 10 Version 2004 (Kernel: 10.0.19041) (en_GB)
08:22:50.635 0af8 INFO CPU: 6 threads (AVX2)
08:22:50.635 0af8 INFO RAM: 64 GB
08:22:50.635 0af8 INFO HDD: 931 GB (437 GB free)
08:22:50.635 0af8 INFO SCR0: 3840x1200x32@59Hz (device pixel ratio: 1) (primary)
08:22:50.635 0af8 INFO SCR1: 1920x1200x32@59Hz (device pixel ratio: 1)
08:22:50.635 0af8 INFO SCR2: 1920x1200x32@59Hz (device pixel ratio: 1)
08:22:50.940 0af8 INFO creating window...
08:22:50.951 0af8 INFO loading plugins...
08:22:51.484 0af8 INFO 30 plugins loaded
08:22:51.484 0af8 INFO initializing UI...
08:22:51.538 0af8 INFO layout and graphic objects initialized
08:22:51.543 0af8 INFO setting shortcuts and properties
08:22:51.666 0af8 INFO UI initialized
08:22:51.667 0af8 INFO Ready
08:22:51.676 0af8 INFO Host: Cubase
08:22:52.050 0af8 INFO Host: Cubase
08:22:52.074 0af8 INFO Host: Cubase
08:22:52.074 0af8 INFO creating external project SamplingFormat(Real, 44100Hz, Audio, 1 channel(s), mapping: 100)
08:22:52.338 0af8 INFO activating external project SamplingFormat(Real, 44100Hz, Audio, 1 channel(s), mapping: 100)
08:23:02.675 0af8 INFO Show (0x3b0634)
08:23:02.855 0af8 CRITICAL Failed to load libEGL (The specified module could not be found.)
08:23:02.855 0af8 WARNING SpectraLayers::QWindowsEGLStaticContext::create: Failed to load and resolve libEGL functions
08:23:02.856 0af8 CRITICAL Failed to load libEGL (The specified module could not be found.)
08:23:02.856 0af8 WARNING SpectraLayers::QWindowsEGLStaticContext::create: Failed to load and resolve libEGL functions
08:23:02.856 0af8 WARNING QOpenGLWidget: Failed to create context
08:23:02.856 0af8 CRITICAL Failed to load libEGL (The specified module could not be found.)
08:23:02.856 0af8 WARNING SpectraLayers::QWindowsEGLStaticContext::create: Failed to load and resolve libEGL functions
08:23:02.856 0af8 WARNING QOpenGLWidget: Failed to create context
08:23:02.864 0af8 CRITICAL Failed to load libEGL (The specified module could not be found.)
08:23:02.864 0af8 WARNING SpectraLayers::QWindowsEGLStaticContext::create: Failed to load and resolve libEGL functions
08:23:02.864 0af8 WARNING QOpenGLWidget: Failed to create context
08:23:02.865 0af8 CRITICAL Failed to load libEGL (The specified module could not be found.)
08:23:02.865 0af8 WARNING SpectraLayers::QWindowsEGLStaticContext::create: Failed to load and resolve libEGL functions
08:23:02.865 0af8 WARNING QOpenGLWidget: Failed to create context
08:23:02.874 0af8 CRITICAL Failed to load libEGL (The specified module could not be found.)
08:23:02.874 0af8 WARNING SpectraLayers::QWindowsEGLStaticContext::create: Failed to load and resolve libEGL functions
08:23:02.874 0af8 WARNING QOpenGLWidget: Failed to create context
08:23:02.878 0af8 CRITICAL Failed to load libEGL (The specified module could not be found.)
08:23:02.878 0af8 WARNING SpectraLayers::QWindowsEGLStaticContext::create: Failed to load and resolve libEGL functions
08:23:02.878 0af8 WARNING QOpenGLWidget: Failed to create context
08:23:02.879 0af8 INFO activating external project SamplingFormat(Real, 44100Hz, Audio, 1 channel(s), mapping: 100)
08:23:02.932 0af8 CRITICAL Failed to load libEGL (The specified module could not be found.)
08:23:02.932 0af8 WARNING SpectraLayers::QWindowsEGLStaticContext::create: Failed to load and resolve libEGL functions
08:23:02.932 0af8 WARNING composeAndFlush: QOpenGLContext creation failed
08:23:02.960 0af8 CRITICAL Failed to load libEGL (The specified module could not be found.)
08:23:02.960 0af8 WARNING SpectraLayers::QWindowsEGLStaticContext::create: Failed to load and resolve libEGL functions
08:23:02.960 0af8 WARNING composeAndFlush: makeCurrent() failed
08:23:02.988 0af8 CRITICAL Failed to load libEGL (The specified module could not be found.)
08:23:02.988 0af8 WARNING SpectraLayers::QWindowsEGLStaticContext::create: Failed to load and resolve libEGL functions
08:23:02.988 0af8 WARNING composeAndFlush: makeCurrent() failed
08:23:03.015 0af8 CRITICAL Failed to load libEGL (The specified module could not be found.)
08:23:03.015 0af8 WARNING SpectraLayers::QWindowsEGLStaticContext::create: Failed to load and resolve libEGL functions
08:23:03.015 0af8 WARNING composeAndFlush: makeCurrent() failed
08:23:06.357 0af8 CRITICAL Failed to load libEGL (The specified module could not be found.)
08:23:06.357 0af8 WARNING SpectraLayers::QWindowsEGLStaticContext::create: Failed to load and resolve libEGL functions
08:23:06.357 0af8 WARNING composeAndFlush: makeCurrent() failed
08:23:06.384 0af8 CRITICAL Failed to load libEGL (The specified module could not be found.)
08:23:06.384 0af8 WARNING SpectraLayers::QWindowsEGLStaticContext::create: Failed to load and resolve libEGL functions
08:23:06.384 0af8 WARNING composeAndFlush: makeCurrent() failed
08:23:06.394 0af8 CRITICAL Failed to load libEGL (The specified module could not be found.)
08:23:06.394 0af8 WARNING SpectraLayers::QWindowsEGLStaticContext::create: Failed to load and resolve libEGL functions
08:23:06.394 0af8 WARNING composeAndFlush: makeCurrent() failed
08:23:06.408 0af8 CRITICAL Failed to load libEGL (The specified module could not be found.)
08:23:06.408 0af8 WARNING SpectraLayers::QWindowsEGLStaticContext::create: Failed to load and resolve libEGL functions
08:23:06.408 0af8 WARNING composeAndFlush: makeCurrent() failed
08:23:06.423 0af8 CRITICAL Failed to load libEGL (The specified module could not be found.)
08:23:06.423 0af8 WARNING SpectraLayers::QWindowsEGLStaticContext::create: Failed to load and resolve libEGL functions
08:23:06.423 0af8 WARNING composeAndFlush: makeCurrent() failed
08:23:08.014 0af8 INFO Hide
08:23:08.163 0af8 CRITICAL Failed to load libEGL (The specified module could not be found.)
08:23:08.163 0af8 WARNING SpectraLayers::QWindowsEGLStaticContext::create: Failed to load and resolve libEGL functions
08:23:08.164 0af8 CRITICAL Failed to load libEGL (The specified module could not be found.)
08:23:08.164 0af8 WARNING SpectraLayers::QWindowsEGLStaticContext::create: Failed to load and resolve libEGL functions
08:23:08.165 0af8 CRITICAL Failed to load libEGL (The specified module could not be found.)
08:23:08.165 0af8 WARNING SpectraLayers::QWindowsEGLStaticContext::create: Failed to load and resolve libEGL functions
08:23:09.703 0af8 INFO Show (0x5c0a6e)
08:23:09.851 0af8 CRITICAL Failed to load libEGL (The specified module could not be found.)
08:23:09.851 0af8 WARNING SpectraLayers::QWindowsEGLStaticContext::create: Failed to load and resolve libEGL functions
08:23:09.852 0af8 CRITICAL Failed to load libEGL (The specified module could not be found.)
08:23:09.852 0af8 WARNING SpectraLayers::QWindowsEGLStaticContext::create: Failed to load and resolve libEGL functions
08:23:09.852 0af8 WARNING QOpenGLWidget: Failed to create context
08:23:09.860 0af8 CRITICAL Failed to load libEGL (The specified module could not be found.)
08:23:09.860 0af8 WARNING SpectraLayers::QWindowsEGLStaticContext::create: Failed to load and resolve libEGL functions
08:23:09.860 0af8 WARNING QOpenGLWidget: Failed to create context
08:23:09.860 0af8 CRITICAL Failed to load libEGL (The specified module could not be found.)
08:23:09.860 0af8 WARNING SpectraLayers::QWindowsEGLStaticContext::create: Failed to load and resolve libEGL functions
08:23:09.860 0af8 WARNING QOpenGLWidget: Failed to create context
08:23:09.863 0af8 CRITICAL Failed to load libEGL (The specified module could not be found.)
08:23:09.863 0af8 WARNING SpectraLayers::QWindowsEGLStaticContext::create: Failed to load and resolve libEGL functions
08:23:09.863 0af8 WARNING QOpenGLWidget: Failed to create context
08:23:09.864 0af8 INFO activating external project SamplingFormat(Real, 44100Hz, Audio, 1 channel(s), mapping: 100)
08:23:09.864 0af8 INFO activating external project SamplingFormat(Real, 44100Hz, Audio, 1 channel(s), mapping: 100)
08:23:09.881 0af8 CRITICAL Failed to load libEGL (The specified module could not be found.)
08:23:09.881 0af8 WARNING SpectraLayers::QWindowsEGLStaticContext::create: Failed to load and resolve libEGL functions
08:23:09.881 0af8 WARNING composeAndFlush: QOpenGLContext creation failed
08:23:09.904 0af8 CRITICAL Failed to load libEGL (The specified module could not be found.)
08:23:09.904 0af8 WARNING SpectraLayers::QWindowsEGLStaticContext::create: Failed to load and resolve libEGL functions
08:23:09.904 0af8 WARNING composeAndFlush: makeCurrent() failed
08:23:09.938 0af8 CRITICAL Failed to load libEGL (The specified module could not be found.)
08:23:09.938 0af8 WARNING SpectraLayers::QWindowsEGLStaticContext::create: Failed to load and resolve libEGL functions
08:23:09.938 0af8 WARNING composeAndFlush: makeCurrent() failed
08:23:09.975 0af8 CRITICAL Failed to load libEGL (The specified module could not be found.)
08:23:09.975 0af8 WARNING SpectraLayers::QWindowsEGLStaticContext::create: Failed to load and resolve libEGL functions
08:23:09.975 0af8 WARNING composeAndFlush: makeCurrent() failed
08:23:11.874 0af8 CRITICAL Failed to load libEGL (The specified module could not be found.)
08:23:11.874 0af8 WARNING SpectraLayers::QWindowsEGLStaticContext::create: Failed to load and resolve libEGL functions
08:23:11.874 0af8 WARNING composeAndFlush: makeCurrent() failed
08:23:11.906 0af8 CRITICAL Failed to load libEGL (The specified module could not be found.)
08:23:11.906 0af8 WARNING SpectraLayers::QWindowsEGLStaticContext::create: Failed to load and resolve libEGL functions
08:23:11.906 0af8 WARNING composeAndFlush: makeCurrent() failed
08:23:11.926 0af8 CRITICAL Failed to load libEGL (The specified module could not be found.)
08:23:11.926 0af8 WARNING SpectraLayers::QWindowsEGLStaticContext::create: Failed to load and resolve libEGL functions
08:23:11.926 0af8 WARNING composeAndFlush: makeCurrent() failed
08:23:11.940 0af8 CRITICAL Failed to load libEGL (The specified module could not be found.)
08:23:11.940 0af8 WARNING SpectraLayers::QWindowsEGLStaticContext::create: Failed to load and resolve libEGL functions
08:23:11.940 0af8 WARNING composeAndFlush: makeCurrent() failed
08:23:13.238 0af8 INFO Hide
08:23:13.385 0af8 CRITICAL Failed to load libEGL (The specified module could not be found.)
08:23:13.385 0af8 WARNING SpectraLayers::QWindowsEGLStaticContext::create: Failed to load and resolve libEGL functions
08:23:13.386 0af8 CRITICAL Failed to load libEGL (The specified module could not be found.)
08:23:13.386 0af8 WARNING SpectraLayers::QWindowsEGLStaticContext::create: Failed to load and resolve libEGL functions
08:23:13.387 0af8 CRITICAL Failed to load libEGL (The specified module could not be found.)
08:23:13.387 0af8 WARNING SpectraLayers::QWindowsEGLStaticContext::create: Failed to load and resolve libEGL functions
08:23:14.784 0af8 INFO Show (0x5d0a6e)
08:23:14.924 0af8 CRITICAL Failed to load libEGL (The specified module could not be found.)
08:23:14.924 0af8 WARNING SpectraLayers::QWindowsEGLStaticContext::create: Failed to load and resolve libEGL functions
08:23:14.925 0af8 CRITICAL Failed to load libEGL (The specified module could not be found.)
08:23:14.925 0af8 WARNING SpectraLayers::QWindowsEGLStaticContext::create: Failed to load and resolve libEGL functions
08:23:14.925 0af8 WARNING QOpenGLWidget: Failed to create context
08:23:14.933 0af8 CRITICAL Failed to load libEGL (The specified module could not be found.)
08:23:14.933 0af8 WARNING SpectraLayers::QWindowsEGLStaticContext::create: Failed to load and resolve libEGL functions
08:23:14.933 0af8 WARNING QOpenGLWidget: Failed to create context
08:23:14.933 0af8 CRITICAL Failed to load libEGL (The specified module could not be found.)
08:23:14.933 0af8 WARNING SpectraLayers::QWindowsEGLStaticContext::create: Failed to load and resolve libEGL functions
08:23:14.933 0af8 WARNING QOpenGLWidget: Failed to create context
08:23:14.936 0af8 CRITICAL Failed to load libEGL (The specified module could not be found.)
08:23:14.936 0af8 WARNING SpectraLayers::QWindowsEGLStaticContext::create: Failed to load and resolve libEGL functions
08:23:14.936 0af8 WARNING QOpenGLWidget: Failed to create context
08:23:14.936 0af8 INFO activating external project SamplingFormat(Real, 44100Hz, Audio, 1 channel(s), mapping: 100)
08:23:14.951 0af8 CRITICAL Failed to load libEGL (The specified module could not be found.)
08:23:14.951 0af8 WARNING SpectraLayers::QWindowsEGLStaticContext::create: Failed to load and resolve libEGL functions
08:23:14.951 0af8 WARNING composeAndFlush: QOpenGLContext creation failed
08:23:14.968 0af8 CRITICAL Failed to load libEGL (The specified module could not be found.)
08:23:14.968 0af8 WARNING SpectraLayers::QWindowsEGLStaticContext::create: Failed to load and resolve libEGL functions
08:23:14.968 0af8 WARNING composeAndFlush: makeCurrent() failed
08:23:15.000 0af8 CRITICAL Failed to load libEGL (The specified module could not be found.)
08:23:15.000 0af8 WARNING SpectraLayers::QWindowsEGLStaticContext::create: Failed to load and resolve libEGL functions
08:23:15.000 0af8 WARNING composeAndFlush: makeCurrent() failed
08:23:15.031 0af8 CRITICAL Failed to load libEGL (The specified module could not be found.)
08:23:15.031 0af8 WARNING SpectraLayers::QWindowsEGLStaticContext::create: Failed to load and resolve libEGL functions
08:23:15.031 0af8 WARNING composeAndFlush: makeCurrent() failed
08:23:15.353 0af8 CRITICAL Failed to load libEGL (The specified module could not be found.)
08:23:15.353 0af8 WARNING SpectraLayers::QWindowsEGLStaticContext::create: Failed to load and resolve libEGL functions
08:23:15.353 0af8 WARNING composeAndFlush: makeCurrent() failed
08:23:15.364 0af8 CRITICAL Failed to load libEGL (The specified module could not be found.)
08:23:15.364 0af8 WARNING SpectraLayers::QWindowsEGLStaticContext::create: Failed to load and resolve libEGL functions
08:23:15.364 0af8 WARNING composeAndFlush: makeCurrent() failed
08:23:15.376 0af8 CRITICAL Failed to load libEGL (The specified module could not be found.)
08:23:15.376 0af8 WARNING SpectraLayers::QWindowsEGLStaticContext::create: Failed to load and resolve libEGL functions
08:23:15.376 0af8 WARNING composeAndFlush: makeCurrent() failed
08:23:17.141 0af8 INFO Hide
08:23:17.281 0af8 CRITICAL Failed to load libEGL (The specified module could not be found.)
08:23:17.281 0af8 WARNING SpectraLayers::QWindowsEGLStaticContext::create: Failed to load and resolve libEGL functions
08:23:17.282 0af8 CRITICAL Failed to load libEGL (The specified module could not be found.)
08:23:17.282 0af8 WARNING SpectraLayers::QWindowsEGLStaticContext::create: Failed to load and resolve libEGL functions
08:23:17.283 0af8 CRITICAL Failed to load libEGL (The specified module could not be found.)
08:23:17.283 0af8 WARNING SpectraLayers::QWindowsEGLStaticContext::create: Failed to load and resolve libEGL functions
08:23:17.552 0af8 INFO closing external project SamplingFormat(Real, 44100Hz, Audio, 1 channel(s), mapping: 100)

next - I restart cubase - I open a blank project - use sl7 - close - then open an SL6 project - and it seems to work:

08:24:34.949 2d8c INFO C:\Program Files\Steinberg\SpectraLayers 7\Win64\SpectraLayers.dll -platform windows:nowmpointer
08:24:34.954 2d8c INFO early init done
08:24:34.957 2d8c INFO creating app...
08:24:34.966 2d8c INFO loading properties...
08:24:35.633 2d8c INFO session SpectraLayers 2020.08.07-08.24.34.948 started - embedded
08:24:35.633 2d8c INFO SpectraLayers Pro 7.0.10 Build 223 (x64 - Qt 5.15.0 - qtnamespace: SpectraLayers - qtlibinfix: SL - dynamic opengl - MSVC 1916)
08:24:35.633 2d8c INFO OS: Windows 10 Version 2004 (Kernel: 10.0.19041) (en_GB)
08:24:35.633 2d8c INFO CPU: 6 threads (AVX2)
08:24:35.633 2d8c INFO RAM: 64 GB
08:24:35.634 2d8c INFO HDD: 931 GB (437 GB free)
08:24:35.634 2d8c INFO SCR0: 3840x1200x32@59Hz (device pixel ratio: 1) (primary)
08:24:35.634 2d8c INFO SCR1: 1920x1200x32@59Hz (device pixel ratio: 1)
08:24:35.634 2d8c INFO SCR2: 1920x1200x32@59Hz (device pixel ratio: 1)
08:24:35.938 2d8c INFO creating window...
08:24:35.949 2d8c INFO loading plugins...
08:24:36.462 2d8c INFO 30 plugins loaded
08:24:36.462 2d8c INFO initializing UI...
08:24:36.515 2d8c INFO layout and graphic objects initialized
08:24:36.520 2d8c INFO setting shortcuts and properties
08:24:36.639 2d8c INFO UI initialized
08:24:36.640 2d8c INFO Ready
08:24:36.650 2d8c INFO Host: Cubase
08:24:36.651 2d8c INFO Host: Cubase
08:24:36.653 2d8c INFO Host: Cubase
08:24:36.653 2d8c INFO creating external project SamplingFormat(Real, 44100Hz, Audio, 1 channel(s), mapping: 100)
08:24:37.051 2d8c INFO activating external project SamplingFormat(Real, 44100Hz, Audio, 1 channel(s), mapping: 100)
08:24:37.292 2d8c INFO Show (0x100bfa)
08:24:37.411 2d8c INFO GPU: Google Inc. / ANGLE (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Direct3D11 vs_5_0 ps_5_0)
08:24:37.411 2d8c INFO OGL: OpenGL ES 3.0 (ANGLE 2.1.0.57ea533f79a7) / OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.00 (ANGLE 2.1.0.57ea533f79a7) / OpenGL ES 3 . 0 Core
08:24:37.503 2d8c INFO activating external project SamplingFormat(Real, 44100Hz, Audio, 1 channel(s), mapping: 100)
08:24:37.636 2d8c INFO activating external project SamplingFormat(Real, 44100Hz, Audio, 1 channel(s), mapping: 100)
08:24:37.654 2d8c INFO activating external project SamplingFormat(Real, 44100Hz, Audio, 1 channel(s), mapping: 100)
08:24:51.380 2d8c INFO Hide
08:24:51.582 2d8c INFO closing external project SamplingFormat(Real, 44100Hz, Audio, 1 channel(s), mapping: 100)
08:25:08.608 2d8c INFO Host: Cubase
08:25:08.988 2d8c INFO Host: Cubase
08:25:09.012 2d8c INFO Host: Cubase
08:25:09.012 2d8c INFO creating external project SamplingFormat(Real, 44100Hz, Audio, 1 channel(s), mapping: 100)
08:25:09.249 2d8c INFO activating external project SamplingFormat(Real, 44100Hz, Audio, 1 channel(s), mapping: 100)
08:25:20.742 2d8c INFO Show (0x20c92)
08:25:20.928 2d8c INFO activating external project SamplingFormat(Real, 44100Hz, Audio, 1 channel(s), mapping: 100)
08:25:25.219 2d8c INFO Hide
08:25:25.606 2d8c INFO closing external project SamplingFormat(Real, 44100Hz, Audio, 1 channel(s), mapping: 100)

I make ZERO changes to SL setting between these tests - you can obviously see the errors on the first log

(edit - and the standalone app is set to Directx)

jamesn81

Post by jamesn81 »

Major graphics issues here on Mojave - the cursor disappears most of the time and selecting frequencies doesn't work properly with the eraser tool.

Version 7 is unusable for me as well.

The menus and feel of the popup in Cubase also feels like a Linux app from the 90s - it's very poorly designed and doesn't feel like a Steinberg app at all.

Robin Lobel

Post by Robin Lobel »

Simon, searching this error on Google (Failed to load libEGL (The specified module could not be found.)) seems to point to two possible causes: a graphic card/driver issue or a missing file (d3dcompiler_47.dll).

Can you copy d3dcompiler_47.dll (click the link to download) to C:\Program Files\Steinberg\SpectraLayers 7\Win64, next to the libEGL.dll file (make sure SpectraLayers and Cubase is fully closed before). Let me know if that helps with the issue - thanks !

james, sounds like it's when you use the ARA plugin ? ARA tools issues are fixed with the upcoming patch 7.0.10 (to be released next wednesday).
As for the menus, I'm not sure what you mean exactly here.

dr

Post by dr »

robin

nothing wrong with the driver on the PC -the question is why does it throw the error depending on when SL7 is loaded ?

When it works (ie you load a new SL instance in a clear reboot) SL finds the file just fine and no error.

I'm not the only one - others have reported the same issue - here's one:

viewtopic.php?p=883621

most people aren't looking at the logs so are having GFX errors without knowing why.

The variable here is SL6/7 not nvidia (it's those same designers that wrote openGL in the 90s!)

Robin Lobel

Post by Robin Lobel »

Please let me know if d3dcompiler_47.dll helps. And if it doesn't, if OpenGL mode helps. Only those two tests will allow me to know for sure.

Return to “SpectraLayers 7”