Feature request - vst connect

All topics on the VST Connect products and Studio Pass
Score81

Feature request - vst connect

Post by Score81 »

Any news on adding the featureof having the possibility to save the settings of any plugins.

for example if I record guitar and use a guitar plug to get distortion. During our next session I want to be able to get
back to the various setting that were used in the same project.

the feature would be great

Score81

Re: Feature request - vst connect

Post by Score81 »

There should be a pinned post with all the feature requests

Spork

Post by Spork »

Score81 wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:35 pm
There should be a pinned post with all the feature requests
... done. Thank you for your feature requested.

/Michael.
Michael Spork, Developer
Hamburg, Germany

Score81

Post by Score81 »

thanks, great Spork!

Musicmould

Post by Musicmould »

I would love to see a preset possibility for VST Connect performer so you can save the whole performance setting.
Including soundcard settings and VST settings and so on.

If you have recurring sessions or sessions that you want to continue the next day or on a later occasion it doesn't make sense to have to set it up all over again.

For instance "Guitar session with Ken", "Vocal session with Erin" and so on.
iMac Pro | 64Gb Ram | Radeon Pro Vega 56 8 GB | macOS 10.14.6 | Cubase Pro 10.5.20 | Luna | Pro Tools | Ableton Live | Logic Pro X | Studio One | Melodyne Studio | Revoice Pro | VSL Pro | UAD Apollo 8p+16 | 2xUAD Octo | Softube Console 1 | Motu Midi Express XT | Various drummachines, microphones, hardware synths & fx and way too many plugins |

"Without music, life would be a mistake".

musicullum

Post by musicullum »

Performer saves setting (but not local ones like audio device, these are common to all Performer sessions) for each Cubase project that it was connected to. It also saves the "unconnected" state such that when Studio starts a new project, those should be the default, as how Performer left the app most recently. So, "If you have recurring sessions or sessions that you want to continue the next day or on a later occasion it doesn't make sense to have to set it up all over again." That should not be necessary, but as said, audio device, VST plugin settings etc are local and common to all projects and are considered unlikely to change with each project.
musi

Musicmould

Post by Musicmould »

musicullum wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:03 am
Performer saves setting (but not local ones like audio device, these are common to all Performer sessions) for each Cubase project that it was connected to. It also saves the "unconnected" state such that when Studio starts a new project, those should be the default, as how Performer left the app most recently.
In that case there has to be a bug or something because I, on the performer side, have to set up the VST instrument every time I connect to the same Cubase project on the other side. Performer is "zeroed" with every start and as far as I can tell nothing changes when I connect to the other party (still no VST instrument when connected even though I had one selected last time).

I also think there is still a need for a preset functionality.
If I have a session with one studio and then want to have a session with another studio with the same instrument and mic volume - then a preset would come in handy to at least start off the session with the same settings as the last (same VST with the same preset for instance).
iMac Pro | 64Gb Ram | Radeon Pro Vega 56 8 GB | macOS 10.14.6 | Cubase Pro 10.5.20 | Luna | Pro Tools | Ableton Live | Logic Pro X | Studio One | Melodyne Studio | Revoice Pro | VSL Pro | UAD Apollo 8p+16 | 2xUAD Octo | Softube Console 1 | Motu Midi Express XT | Various drummachines, microphones, hardware synths & fx and way too many plugins |

"Without music, life would be a mistake".

musicullum

Post by musicullum »

ah sorry, you are right, the VST Instrument is not remembered, all other mixer settings are. We'll check if we can improve.
musi

JacksonWraight

Post by JacksonWraight »

I'm glad you added the multiple listeners functionality to VST Connect Pro, However still hoping for a Single host to multiple performers option. With the rise in work-from-home and hybrid events, being able to host for multiple performers brings a level of collaboration that would corner the market.

I imagine a Host record at a festival front of house that allows for multiple remote locations to add to the performance. OR Capturing and distributing a Stream of multiple performers in the comfort of their homes/studios to a live and/or virtual audiences.

musicullum

Post by musicullum »

We haven't yet added multiple listeners in this version, sorry.
And yes, we are envisioning those streaming ideas as well and are working on it.
musi

dr

Post by dr »

JacksonWraight wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:57 pm
I'm glad you added the multiple listeners functionality to VST Connect Pro, However still hoping for a Single host to multiple performers option. With the rise in work-from-home and hybrid events, being able to host for multiple performers brings a level of collaboration that would corner the market.

I imagine a Host record at a festival front of house that allows for multiple remote locations to add to the performance. OR Capturing and distributing a Stream of multiple performers in the comfort of their homes/studios to a live and/or virtual audiences.
I think it's worth bearing in mind that getting multiple (musical!) performers playing in sync over a WAN is more or less impossible (speed of light etc). There are apps ( that claim to do this but most have limited success and only over a smaller geographical area. VST connect manages this because there is only ONE performer and it buffers to make the various delays 'invisible' I don't think it's realistic to have this 'mini festival' idea at least in the near future

https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/view ... 833&hilit=

on a slightly separate note my actor friend tells me that the BBC (in the UK) have developed their own solution to this (typical BBC!). This allows multiple clients recording at the same - he's not very techie so didn't really know the details but he says the latency is so low that they can do radio plays etc and can 'crash' each others line just like in real life - say it's works great. But actors can deal with latency of 20/30/40 milliseconds - drummers can't.

musicullum

Post by musicullum »

Realtime jamming is tricky and only works under specific circumstances, as latency restrictions are tight. You have to calculate i/o latency of your interface plus net connection maximum roundtrip (time it takes from an audio packet from sending to receiving and back). The latter can hardly be pushed below 15 ms (one direction) reliably without dropouts, so that makes 30 ms plus i/o latency. Net latency also includes speed of light, which adds roughly 5 ms per 1000 miles. i/o latency is hard to get below 5 ms, so 30-35 ms would be somewhat best case for 'regular' good quality WAN connections. Too much for me, but your mileage may vary.
musi

Return to “VST Connect”